Monday, May 23, 2011

sunday in the kitchen

i've been cooking for a couple hours most sundays recently (i wear a fun apron!), and it's really become a nice ritual. it helps to center me for the week in terms of what i'll be eating, because it's a built in way of planning ahead, measuring and putting things in perfect portion sizes. although it usually takes two or three hours in all, it means that for the rest of the week, i only need to spend a few minutes each day. i've been experimenting with different recipes and ideas, and in the process i often make mitchell eggs or a sandwich which i really enjoy too (i'm becoming kind of a food pusher, which i have to manage carefully).


i always use a garbage bowl, above, which makes everything cleaner and easier. so yesterday, i made scrambled eggs with cheese (good for quick weekday breakfasts alone or in a trader joe's whole wheat tortilla), chicken tandoori (from this recipe...it came out okay, will be better with the yogurt sauce and i might put it in some bibb lettuce leaves from my container garden) and i boiled a dozen eggs which i always do since i have hardboiled egg whites almost every day for a snack. i also cut up a huuuuuge hothouse cucumber which i eat throughout the week on its own, with hummus, or with some light dressing.


i had forgotten to defrost some ground turkey which i also would have made since i've been enjoying that for dinner some nights with sour cream, scallions and spicy beans. i took it out and will do that one night this week since all i do is saute the meat and add some reduced sodium taco seasoning.

i also whipped some sugar free frosting to keep in a tupperware in the refrigerator. i don't feel great about this, but i think i've finally found a sweet treat i can keep in the house that isn't a trigger. it's SO sweet that i just have a little spoonful of it after dinner (some nights, not every) and i don't even want anymore. so that's working right now. i just have to be like a hawk about it and if it stops working...in that i find myself wanting more of it or eating it instead of wholesome foods...then it goes and it doesn't come back.

do you cook one day over the weekend for the whole week?

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to do the same thing on Sundays, as it really does make your week a lot easier in terms of eating healthfully (and cheaply!). Since my gall bladder surgery I feel much better when I know what I"m putting in my body (i.e. not restaurant food with lots of butter and oil and salt), so cooking on Sundays is really helpful. It's also so calming. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! do you listen to music or talk on the phone while you work? i've found that with cooking, i need to be pretty focusing. unless it's something really mindless, phone talk is a no-no. music is good though, and i pop in and out of the kitchen chatting with my husband in the other room. i agree, it's calming. a nice ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to music or have mindless TV (read: Bravo or Lifetime) on in the background. I can only talk on the phone if I'm making something I'm really used to making and don't need to pay attention to a recipe or anything. Or if I'm prepping. Other than that, no, I can't do it...unless I want a disastrous meal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...