Wednesday, February 16, 2011

buckle up for safety

in a letter dated 11/10/10:

to whom it may concern:

i am writing to contest the seatbelt traffic violation ticket i received on 10/12/10 on route 25a.

as i briefly explained to the officer who pulled me over, i am extremely overweight and the seatbelt did not comfortably fit across my chest, and i was therefore wearing it across my lap only, with the chest strap behind me. ironically, i was on my way home from my last pre-operative appointment with the surgeon who performed a gastric bypass on me the very next day, 10/13/10. please let me know if you need proof of my surgery and hospital stay.

i completely understand the importance of wearing a seatbelt, and i always do – i just was not (up until about a week ago as i have lost a considerable amount of weight already) able to wear it both across my lap and chest.

understand that my weight was an embarrassing, limiting and frankly dangerous situation, an incorrectly worn seatbelt being one of those dangers. also, though, the surgery and all the associated costs were, and still are, a tremendous expense to my family (my insurance does not cover it at all) so i ask your leniency with regards to paying this fine. please understand that i am law abiding in all respects, and do everything i can to be a responsible driver and citizen.

i truly hope that you can extend amnesty in this case, and trust that i am now finally able and quite happy to wear the seatbelt as intended.

i thank you for your time and kindness in this matter.

best regards,

carla rothberg

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...